We must start this guide by stating that all plumbing works must be undertaken by a licensed plumber. In
Western Australia it is illegal for non-certified plumbers to perform any kind of plumbing works. However, there are a few checks you can make throughout your home to ensure all fixtures & fittings are operating as intended.
How to Detect if Your Toilet is Leaking
A good way to find out if your toilet is leaking is to follow these simple steps:
1. Listen for a hissing sound – if you listen closely to the cistern and can hear hissing, this usually means water is escaping.
2. Flush the toilet and wait for the cistern to completely fill. Then remove the cistern lid and place about 5 or 6 drops of food colouring in the cistern water. A dark colour such as green or blue is better than a light colour such as yellow.
3. Place the lid back on the cistern and wait for up to 30 minutes. Check the water in the toilet bowl. If it has changed colour, there is a leak present.
Before Purchasing Tap Fittings
When purchasing tap fittings, consider where the washers are situated. This makes changing the washer a
simplified task saving you cost in the future. We also recommend that care must be taken when purchasing plumbing fixtures & fittings from hardware stores. It is common that some plumbing items may not be covered by warranty, so we recommend purchase from a recognised plumbing supplier.
The following methods can be used when trying to locate a burst pipe:
1. Listen out for water spraying or dripping.
2. Search for dampness and spots on your wall, especially areas where the paint is bubbling or wallpaper is
3. You may even be able to spot pools of water forming on the floor in the area where the pipe has burst. Check out the kitchen and bathroom for pools of water on the tiles, especially where they meet the bathtub, shower, sink or bench top.
4. Look around for mould, as this can form in high concentration if the house has been left for several days.
In the event of any moisture or mould identification it is always good practice to contact a suitably qualified
inspector to assess the damage.
The location of the water meter & isolation tap should be made apparent to all occupants of your home in case of emergency. Often the location of the tap can be difficult to find if plumbers are called out to the emergency.
At Cap-It-All Building Inspections we will test hot water, taps and toilets and report on defects related to sealing or grout for you during our Comprehensive Building Inspection, and make recommendations should we feel an
issue needs to be rectified/further investigated by a licensed plumber.