When inspecting the exterior of a roof during our Comprehensive Building Inspection, Cap-It-All’s inspectors often encounter debris/foliage obstructing gutters. It is important to keep gutters free of debris for the following
– Debris may hinder the free flow of rainwater to gutters and downpipes, causing inadequate drainage, leaks, damp and mould. Moisture related issues can quickly lead to structural issues.
– Debris poses a fire risk, especially for those property within bushfire prone areas.
– Birds, rats and other forms of wildlife may nest within gutters, increasing the risk of pests infiltrating the
interior of your roof loft space and property.
Maintenance of gutters can be inexpensive and simple, and you can prevent the above issues by ensuring your gutters are regularly maintained. The best way to maintain your gutters include:
– Accessing the roof and clearing the gutters of debris by hand or using a vacuum on a regular basis.
– Ensuring trees around the property are regularly maintained to avoid overgrown foliage encroaching gutters.
– Install gutter guard. Many companies offer this type of product, which is usually an aluminium guard which acts to protect gutters and save roof plumbing maintenance.
A stitch in time saves nine. By using the above methods to avoid unwanted build-up of debris in gutters you can save yourself potential issues which could be a lot more costly and difficult to rectify.
Cap-It-All Building Inspections will inspect your roof exterior as part of our Comprehensive Building Inspection.